Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Happiest Place On Earth Once Again

Disney is always a magical experience. No one goes all out to maintain the illusion the way they do, which is truly incredible since Walt died more than forty years ago. He was rich and insane so I understand everything that he did up until Disneyworld opened, which was five years after his death, but it’s 2009 and they’ve never once cut a cost or a corner for profit over quality. It’s been forty-three years and an accountant hasn’t gotten any meaningful control. It’s the only American company that I can think of where that hasn’t happened. They don’t mind raising prices, and they’re up front about it. If you want a true Disney experience then you’re going to have to pay for it. Now come up with the $30 for your grapefruit and tap water or go hungry, which will only cost you $12.95. I’ve never run into an employee cast member with a bad attitude. Even the janitors sell the Disney experience to the maximum. That’s why I find it so easy to completely suspend my disbelief as soon as I clear the Magic Kingdom Train Station and hit Main Street USA. The sights of the shops lining the streets and Cinderella’s Castle in the background, the sounds of tens of thousands of people and the strange, unique Disney music, and the old timey warm and sugary smell of the Confectionary. I wish I could come up with another way to describe it other than magical. Even standing in line in the draining sun for ninety minutes to ride a forty-five second ride that was a C-ticket ride back in the day seems worth it for each and everyone of the twelve hundred people in line. The 1970’s special effects should be anything but special in this CGI world, but if you say you don’t love The Haunted House then you’re lying. Disneyworld, along with the beach, is another reason I really can’t see myself ever living anywhere other than Florida.

No comments: