Friday, December 25, 2009

Gelukkig Kerstfeest!

Christmas was fun, but I waited too long to write this post. I ate too much turkey and drank too much beer, and now it’s 9 o’clock and I’m groggy. LMJ cleaned up as far as Christmas loot goes. Three local grandparents will do that. My parents showed up at around 1:30 this afternoon with a case of Heineken, and Christmas has been merry ever since. They were accosted in my front yard by one of my neighbors, she is a server at one of their favorite restaurants, and loves my mom and dad. It’s a little bit weird, but she’s very nice. MJ suggested that it wouldn’t be prudent for me to finish the beer before the night was over, and in a display of my personal growth and maturity, I didn’t take her suggestion as an affront to my manhood. That doesn’t mean that I won’t drink them all, it just means that I didn’t feel challenged. I just opened another one but I’m not even close to being done with the first twelve pack. Maybe I should feel challenged. Unfortunately, I don’t. I’m just old. I turn thirty-nine in a week. Back in the day I would be getting ready to go out partying; now I can’t wait to get into bed and hope I get to sleep in until 7:30 tomorrow morning. The best part of my day today – and last night for that matter – was watching LMJ play with the cool stuff she scored from Santa. She got a kitchen, an amusement park, and a train set that each occupied large chunks of her time. I love watching her imagination run wild. She gets completely caught up in what she’s doing and forgets the rest of the world around her. I wish I could be part of her little fantasy worlds every once in a while. This is the first Christmas that I really felt like a dad. It was friggin’ awesome.

1 comment:

JSG said...

Funny, my daughter gets completely caught up in what she’s doing and forgets the rest of the world around her too. She's just caught up in different things!

Happy Heineken, and Christmas weekend too!