Friday, December 18, 2009

It’s A Furniture Store, Not An Amusement Park

We ran ourselves absolutely ragged at Disney yesterday and were in bed by 7:45. We weren’t able to get a quality parking space at the Polynesian like we were at the Magic Kingdom so that was a bit of a bummer for MJ. We woke up with a rough plan of taking it easy today since everyone was worn out. We all got together for breakfast at one of the hotel’s restaurants and, honestly, I think this was my favorite part of the trip. I love spending time with my family over a meal. I ate too much and had some really great coffee. They charge $40 a pound for this stuff and I was seriously offended when I saw the price on the menu, but we ordered a pot – when in Rome – and it was one of the best cups of coffee I’ve ever had. It wasn’t worth $40 but it was pretty good (that reminds me of a scene from Pulp Fiction). After breakfast everyone except LMJ and me planned a trip to IKEA. It’s in Orlando, none of us live there (thank God), and my parents didn’t have a navigation system in their car, so some planning was necessary. LMJ fell asleep on the way and I volunteered to stay in the van with her. LMJ woke up about a half an hour after we got to the store and we hung out and had a good time. After an hour of sitting in the van, I called MJ to ask her to bring us some ice cream cones on the way out. She said no problem, they were downstairs, and she would call us if she wanted us to come in, she was giddy. If heaven is based on our individual perspectives, MJ’s version is going to be a Swedish furniture store. Another hour later, she walks up to the van without any ice cream cones and super pumped to show me all the crap wonderful furnishings she’d bought. I’d been cooped up in a stuffy van with a two year old watching The Backyardigans for two hours. I was all “WTF!?!” The whole thing was a misunderstanding. I thought “We’re downstairs” meant they were about to check out. I was wrong. What “We’re downstairs” meant was “We’re done with the pre-shopping and you’ll have your ice cream in about an hour”. I’m the odd man out on this one. Everybody but me, including my parents, including my dad, got jacked to the max about furniture you get to put together yourself with bad directions and an Allen wrench. I just don’t get it. LMJ and I finally got our ice cream so the trip wasn’t a total failure.

2 comments:

MJ said...

Look, I bought nothing that had to be assembled. We have 30 windows in our house (that is acurate, no hyperbole). I bought curtains and blinds to try to reduce our skyrocketing eletric bill. (Plus a few picture frames and gifts for LMJ.)
I feel a little misrepresented here as a shallow shopper--and even worse as a Costanza-ish parking enthusiast.
You should stick to writing about how much you love me and how awesome it is that I bought you not one but two frozen yogurts at Ikea.

EJG said...

That blasted allen key has caused many a fight at our house. I love IKEA, though, and miss not having one only a few miles away (like when we lived on L.I.).

You want to talk about a Seinfeld episode... stick a bunch of Long Islanders in an IKEA and let the cameras roll!