Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Sunshine And The USPS

We spent some time out in the fresh air today and everyone’s mood elevated, so this is going to be a less depressing post than the last few. Sunlight is essential for the human psyche. MJ is no longer worrying that she’s a hoarder, and I’m no longer feeling the need to punch people in the face for looking at me or talking to me. I got out of the house early this morning to overnight a package to MJ’s grandmother, Far-Mor. MJ felt she needed to send some kind of special gift so Far-Mor’s Christmas card didn’t go out with the general batch yesterday. The sunshine that hit me on the way from my back door to the car wasn’t enough to get me out of my funk, so I didn’t feel like going all the way to the post office and standing in line. I decided that I would spend a few dollars more if it cut my trip by a half an hour. I went into the UPS store and asked the guy how much it would cost to overnight the package. Jokingly, he said “A lot!” I kind of laughed and expected the cost to be around $20. I was willing to go as high as $22. He played around with his computer for a bit and then quoted me a price of $49.19 with no guarantee that it would get there by tomorrow. I was sending this package to Glendale, Arizona not Stockholm, Sweden. I took my package and stood in line at the post office, and even though I had to listen to a guy trying to get a deposit back on a P.O. Box that he lost the keys to – he never got the keys according to him – the whole thing cost me $17.50 and it’s guaranteed to be there by noon tomorrow. I always use the USPS to overnight stuff because they’re cheaper and I can send stuff to P.O. Boxes, but I had no idea just how much cheaper. That was the big adventure for the day. The 65% savings on shipping elevated my mood, and after some shopping, some lunch, and a nap, I had fun playing with LMJ in the winter sunshine. I wish it wasn’t so easy to forget how much we need to be outside so we don’t end up suicidal like Scandinavians and Eskimos.

No comments: