Sunday, December 20, 2009

Had A Nagila

Tonight was fun. Spending time with good friends and eating good food is the hokey pokey. We had a traditional Macabee dinner of challah, latkes, split pea soup, turkey, Oreos, brownies, rice crispies treats, wine, and whiskey. The original Jerusalem was in Kentucky. Not a lot of people know that. I’m not a bourbon guy, but in my new spirit of embracing hard liquor, I had some. Maker’s Mark works and don’t let anyone tell you different. Bourbon is a little bit different than beer, and I’m clearly a lightweight. The bourbon knocked me on my ass, even though I had it on the rocks. I think I need to learn how to sip whiskey instead of drinking it. We didn’t do anything special tonight. It was real low key. We just kind of hung out. We ate. We drank. We watched the Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger punk the Green Bay Packers. I got introduced to Glee and found myself liking it despite it being a little bit low brow for my tastes. I like sophisticated stuff like Jersey Shore. LMJ had a good time and seemed to have turned a social corner. She’s always been a little bashful when she’s around people she doesn’t see every day, but tonight she walked in like she owned the place. She wasn’t shy for an instant. She talked to everyone without having to bury her head in my shoulder for a half an hour. She had fun playing with Hansel Cat, and didn’t quite understand that Gretel Cat wasn’t in the mood to play. She entertained everyone with a rendition of the ABC song. EJG accompanied her on the piano. Cora Spondence commented that she has second graders that can’t get through the ABC song as well as LMJ did. I think she’s turning into a social butterfly. I think the My Gym classes are doing what they’re supposed to do. Hopefully we’ll all be able to get together at least once more before the holidays are over.

5 comments:

EJG said...

I loved reading your remembrance of the evening. It made me enjoy it all over again.

Glad you liked the Makers Mark. Yes... it's for sippin'. I find that nothing makes you "happy" faster than some good ole bourbon on the rocks.

LMJ was the hit of teh party. She is no longer just your daughter... As IG used to say when she was little, "She's her owm selth".

EJG said...

o.k... I spelled "the" wrong.

BUT... the "Owm selth" is spelled the way IG used to say it.

Just wanted to make sure didn't think I had been sippin' so early in the day!

EJG said...

O.K... I left out "you".

Enough.

MJ said...

I find correcting errors in comments to be a downward spiral. It never gets better; it only gets worse.

Thanks you guys for a lovely night. We all felt so at home. It's the best compliment, really.

MJ said...

I find correcting errors in comments to be a downward spiral. It never gets better; it only gets worse.

Thanks you guys for a lovely night. We all felt so at home. It's the best compliment, really.