Thursday, December 10, 2009

What's That Smell?

My bedroom stinks like sweaty people because I live in a GD swamp. It was around 85 degrees yesterday with 9000% humidity. Yesterday was December 9th. It was so hot and humid that my feet were sticking to the floor when I walked. But there was no way in hell I was turning on the air conditioning, not in December. I’ll wash every piece of bed linen we own or will every own before I turn on the AC during Christmas. I’ll open windows. I’ll light candles, but the JEA will not get the satisfaction of me being uncomfortable enough to spend extra money to cool my house. The room doesn’t smell like BO. It smells like clothes worn two days in a row, or something. That doesn’t mean it’s a pleasant odor, but it’s not like we’re living in a bus station or homeless shelter. The house is more than 80 years old and we need to shore up the insulation. That would solve a bunch of problems. If we could be reasonably confident that it would be done correctly, after the train wreck that was our home improvement project over the summer we’re gun shy about changing anything. Everything we do seems to be money down the drain. Since the house is so old it has a lot of windows. That’s how people didn’t die from heatstroke in Florida before AC. We trade old problems for new ones. Grammy and Mommy are thinking about buying some kind of curtains as a stop gap but I think they were thinking about reducing heating costs for this winter and not cooling costs for this winter. Most likely I won’t do anything about any of this though because the temperature is back in the fifties and everything is comfortable again. As soon as I wash the blankets and sheets the room won’t stink again until the next time the temperature and humidity spike, which will probably be sometime next week.

2 comments:

Beth said...

I don't miss the bizarre weather changes during a Florida winter. When I first moved here, I thought it was weird that people "switched out" their closets once the weather turned cold. I mean, what do you do when you need your shorts and short-sleeved shirts?

JSG said...

Just turn on the air. It's better than paying for heat. I remember the cost of filling the oil tank 2-3 times per winter on our tiny NY home.... A couple of hours of a/c takes out the stank. Probably cheaper than the power to wash all the sweaty sheets,