Monday, December 21, 2009

Runny Noses, Christmas Cards, and Beer

I have a head cold and I really don’t feel like writing tonight. I had a head cold when I went to work this morning. I had a head cold when I ran some errands. I had a head cold when I ate lunch early this afternoon and had to breathe through my mouth. And I had a head cold when I tried to take a nap with LMJ. My head cold completely ruined my nap. I couldn’t get into a deep sleep because I couldn’t breathe. Breathing is important. My cold isn’t bad, it’s just inconvenient. I’m a little bit low on energy and my nose is running, but that’s about all. Unfortunately, I have stuff I have to do this week like mail our Christmas cards. Why do stuff early when you can wait until the last possible moment? We waited so long to get our stuff together that Target gave us cheap, lightweight, and non-descript envelopes instead of the heavy card stock envelopes that normally come with Christmas cards. When people get them they’re going to think they’re bills before they think they’re holiday greetings. I’m going to drop all fifty some-odd of them in the mail tomorrow and hope that they can get where they’re going in two days. Getting a Christmas card after Christmas is a little bit tacky, but if they do show up late, well, it’s the economy. I’m going to use that as a catch all for why things aren’t my fault for a long time to come. The Dow will be over 16 thousand and there will be less than 2% unemployment, but I will still be blaming the economy when my wife asks me why I drank a twelve pack of beer in an afternoon, which is a conversation we really had about ten years ago. She was being nice on Christmas Eve and bought me a case of Heineken. Then she went shopping with one of her friends, and her friend’s husband and I watched some crappy bowl games and finished the case of beer before the women got home. She asked us why we drank so much beer, which is a straight forward question for a woman to ask, but an existential question for a man to answer. It’s like asking why water is wet or what the sound of one hand clapping is. If I don’t feel better by tomorrow, I may explore that question.

1 comment:

EJG said...

When I get a cold, I can't taste food. Eventually, I stop eating anything bad and I actually lose weight.

I could use a good cold right now.

or a diet.