Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Trip To The DMV

I had to get a new license so I scheduled an appointment for this morning and ran around like a mad man to get there. I thought I had everything planned but then none of my printers worked. I guess I didn’t say pretty please. I don’t have the home printer on my work computer, my primary computer, because I don’t want to have a bunch of crappy HP software clogging up my machine. I also don’t want to have to find a receipt for the printer so I can prove to LFA that I’m didn’t steal it. Thanks to my lovely wife, who had the revolutionary idea to keep our important documents safe in one place, I had no problem finding my passport, voter registration card, social security card, and stool sample so I could prove that I am who I say I am. But thanks to my printer woes, my 90 minutes of cushion quickly turned into minus 10 minutes. I had to head over to the Southside and the directions – from the DMV – were worthless. I think they’re from 10 or 15 years ago, and there has been a ton of development since then. The DMV is housed in a AAA office and almost nobody was there. I gave my barely pre-printed application to the receptionist, whose confusion/indifference let me know that I had wasted my time filling everything out online. There were two people ahead of me who were just waiting for their new licenses to print. I was up in no time. I was a little bit frustrated even faster. I got my social security card and passport out so a AAA employee could kind of glance at them. Swipe something electronically, please, if you’re going to make me drive across the river and deal with Southside Blvd. If not then let me do all this crap online. I guess I convinced her that I’m me because she told me to take the eye test and stand for my picture. When it was time to pay she looked surprised that I wanted to pay with a Visa. They don’t take Visa. They take MasterCard, AMEX, and Discover, but not Visa. Who takes AMEX but not Visa? I had to walk to the Publix next door and withdraw cash. The worst part was the picture. My previous picture was taken 14 years ago and I’ve gotten old, but I’m licensed up thru my birthday in 2018 so I don’t have to deal with that for a while.

No comments: