Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Cult Of Personality

What is it about some people? There are those that command attention when they walk into a room. They have a certain je ne sais quoi. I don’t mean the doofus who shows up at the party naked. I mean the person that just has “it”. Most presidents have it. Obama, W, Clinton, and Reagan definitely had it. Sarah Palin has it. It trumps her lack of synaptic efficiency. It’s why Julia Roberts makes about three times as much money as Meryl Streep for a movie. Unfortunately, for me anyway, Tim Tebow is one of these guys. I’m watching the NFL combine – aka the underwear Olympics – and Tebow is dominating the attention. He’s not doing anything to draw attention to himself. He’s running as fast as he can. He’s jumping as high as he can, just like every other NFL hopeful in Indianapolis. But for some reason the announcers can’t stop talking about him and the cameras can’t stop finding him. He’s the corn fed handsomness. Right now there’s a commercial about Myron Rolle. I should care about him more than Tim Tebow. He’s a Negro; I’m a Black militant racist. He’s a Seminole. He’s a Rhodes Scholar. I don’t care. I timed my bathroom break so I wouldn’t miss Tebow running his 40 yard dash. I should be watching the USA playing Canada in the gold medal hockey game. Instead I’m watching Tebow stretch. The camera is on him stretching instead of whatever non-Tebow player is actually running the 40 yard dash. I can see the dude running in the background. I’ve done nothing but hate on objectively evaluate Tebow for the last four years. I discount his college accomplishments because he went to a football factory. I discount his leadership skills for the same reason. If the Jaguars draft him in the first round I’m going to be pissed. If they let him fall past the third round and he goes to another team I’m going to be pissed. He’s another Heisman and national championship winning quarterback from a Florida school. They’re dime a dozen, but for some reason, if he’s on TV then it’s must see.

No comments: