Tuesday, May 5, 2009

If You’re Not Close To Death, How Do You Know You’re Alive?

I chose pain. I’m training in the sun this summer, and I started today. I went to the Y this morning to lift weights and when I was done I was planning to do my normal hour on the elliptical machine. But then I thought why not run outside? So I did. I headed out to my car, checked the thermometer, strapped on my iPod and took off towards the river. It was 87 degrees and I was wearing a black shirt. The only downside is that I didn’t have my Garmin 305. It took me less than five minutes to finish blasting my shoulders and to start running. The plan was to run to the Jacksonville Landing and back. I was less than ten steps in before I was out of breath. My body was still trying to deal with the fatigue from the weights when I was asking it to carry me up a bridge. I hated every moment of it, but this is how Kenyans and Ethiopians grow up, it’s their basic mode of travel, so running up hill in the heat is the way to go. On the way down the bridge over the railroad tracks, it wasn’t so much running as it was not quite falling down. Man was I happy about being in the shade, which didn’t last very long. I got to the bottom and found my stride. I cruised the half mile to the Landing, and then realized I had to run back. I started to lose it on the way back. I was wondering what the homeless people thought about runners. I was wondering if I would feel it when my heart exploded in my chest. I know heart attacks hurt, but this wouldn’t really be a heart attack. Heart attacks come from a lack of blood. My heart was just being pushed past its limits, especially going back up the bridge. I never felt as bad as I did during the River Run, so I never stopped. These were the thoughts that were running through my head. I finished with a lap around the track, and I ran flat out the last hundred yards. I drove home and sat in my car for five minutes while my heart slowed down. It wasn’t until I was sitting in front of my house that I got a little scared about not being able to catch my breath. Oh well, that which doesn’t kill us. This is gonna be a fun summer.

5 comments:

Beth said...

Uh, yeah LJ. Was thinking about maybe trying to start running. But after reading some of your recent posts about the sport, I'm rethinking that. However, your determination and your title are inspiring! LOL.

JSG said...

Life insurance paid up?

LJ said...

Beth, I do it wrong. I wallow in my stupidity because I refuse, in my heart of hearts, to aknowledge that I am getting older. You should absolutely start running.

Cora Spondence said...

Killing yourself by running? Dude that is so NOT a Klingon way to die. At least next time, take the bat'leth with you.

tainij said...

Now you know why I stopped exercising outdoors. Outdoor exercise in Florida summers (9 months of the year) requires gills to get you oxygen out of the 110% humidity.