Thursday, May 14, 2009

Logom

It was another busy day in Shangri-La. The day doesn’t really start until LMJ is awake, and it was an early day today. She woke up at around a quarter past six and demanded some eggs and toast. I think I’ve mentioned it before, but she has a sophisticated pallet. So we shared some scrambled eggs and toast. Actually, I enjoyed some scrambled eggs and toast. Somewhere in the seven minutes it took me to cook breakfast; she had a change of heart. Oh well, that’s just more for me.

I got to the gym early this morning and had a very good session. I’m not losing weight like I want to, but at least I’m getting stronger. I blasted my chest and biceps. The chest routine was the same old, same old, but I added a set of standing dumbbell preacher curls at the end of my biceps workout because the pain caused by whatever is wrong with my neck, the pain caused by whatever is wrong with my ankles, and the regular muscle soreness in my legs weren’t really pushing me close enough to tears. I did one set to failure with a light weight so I could really get a pump. If my skin doesn’t feel stretched then I’m not working hard enough.

I came home, took a shower, and headed off to work. I thought today was going to be simple, but I forgot I was going to have to deal with the Duval County Public School System. It’s funny that every ridiculous stereotype of government bureaucracy is nothing more than unvarnished truth. I was helping a teacher through the retirement process with the most efficient paper pusher I’ve dealt with in seven years of doing this, and it still took an hour and a half. That ate up my entire afternoon. I took some paperwork back to my office because I won’t be in tomorrow, and I didn’t want to wait an extra four days to get this stuff in the system.

After doing my copying and filing, I headed home for a quick dinner before I was off to the airport to pick up my parents who were coming back from seeing my sister in Kansas. I took the baby girl along for the ride because the airport is really cool if you’re a kid; it gave MJ some time to catch up on some grading; and grandparents favorite thing in the world is their grandkids. We dropped LMJ off at home on the trip to my parent’s house because they live in some unincorporated swamp area just north of the Everglades and LMJ has to start kindergarten in three years. They were exhausted from traveling, and by the time I got home so was I, even though the Odyssey is fantastic.

I got a lot done today, and I’m happy about that, but I’m not a big fan of days packed with activity. Sometimes enough is enough.

2 comments:

MJ said...

Even your mundane day posts are funny.

dgj said...

I was so glad to see LMJ at the airport; it made the longest day worthwhile. By the way we don't live in a swamp, we live on a hillside.