Monday, May 18, 2009

Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow!!!

Yesterday my wife tricked me into some kind of running program on the Wii. I ran in place for about fifteen minutes. Running in place hits the legs differently than running somewhere. My calves were a little bit sore, no big deal. At least it wasn’t a big deal until I was on the elliptical this morning. At about fifteen minutes in my left calf started to stiffen up. I knew exactly what it was instantly, but stopping doesn’t burn calories or keep my heart rate up, so I continued on for another forty-five minutes. I stretched and drove home. When I tried to walk up the stairs my lower leg seized up. I hate calf cramps. I’ve spent a large portion of my exercising life stretching and hydrating to avoid calf cramps. I’ve been hobbling around like I’m eighty years old all afternoon. I have to go up steps like LMJ. I put my entire foot flat on the step before I step. If I’m on my toes at all, I feel horrible pain. I was crossing a parking lot and strangely enough it hurts less to run than to walk. Maybe I should go full on LMJ and run everywhere for the next day or so. I know it’s cute when a two year old does it, but I’m worried that for me it will end with words and phrases like tazer, and fleeing from an officer, and resisting arrest. Not to mention, I’m already dead tired, and it’s a lot easier running when you weigh twenty-seven pounds than it is when you weigh 235 pounds. It’s not that I blame MJ, however I do hold her completely, totally, and absolutely responsible. Yes, I could have gotten off the elliptical when my leg started to hurt, but then my trip to the gym would have been a complete waste of time, even though I had a really good back and rear delt workout – DEADLIFTS. I think I’m going to get my revenge by suggesting MJ change the angle of her pushups so they hit the back of her arms more. It’s all fun and games until the teacher can’t hold a grading pen.

3 comments:

MJ said...

I laughed, laughed, laughed at your pain; I mean, at your post. So funny! I hope you're better soon.

JSG said...

I think you lost the race.

Cora Spondence said...

As always that last sentence, perfectly funny.