Saturday, May 2, 2009

We Got Out The Door For Blue Book. Scoreboard!

We bought a mini-van today, closed the deal. Car shopping is an adventure. We didn’t wind up buying it from Tony Soprano. We bought it from a tag team of stereotypical used car salesman. MJ wanted to go and see one more van this morning before we committed. We headed to Duval Ford to see it, and we were barely out of the car before we were met by the dad from American Chopper with the thickest listhp I’ve heard thince Thindy Brady. It was so thick I found myself watching his mouth when he spoke. I’m not a speech pathologist but I could tell the reason he had a lisp was because he stuck his tongue out three inches past his front teeth whenever an “S” came up. He referred us to his buddy down at the fair grounds. All the Duval car dealerships were having a huge used car sale this weekend. Geronimo, that’s what was on Thindy’s tangerine business card, was very professional and didn’t try to push us into anything on his lot. We drove downtown and met Bob, who looks like a character actor that always plays cowboys but I have no clue about his name. It was about 700 degrees outside and I liked that Bob was not only covered in sun tan lotion, but also had a big hat on. We drove around in the sage green minivan and it made our decision harder. It had more miles than the one we thought we wanted, but it was a year newer and came right out of Q branch – DVD, navigation system, rear outside camera. We didn’t buy it on the spot because it was more expensive than the older one we were looking at yesterday, and we were able to get the two dealerships into a bidding war. Bob actually asked us what it would take to get us into the car today. In the end Duval Ford was more desperate to move their stuff off the fairgrounds than Lucas Honda was to move their stuff off the lot. The Lucas Honda team was very efficient. It took at least forty-five minutes less to get the paperwork done than the last time we bought a car. The guy that did our paperwork was named Alfredo, and I bet if I asked to see his green card we could have knocked another $1500 off the price, but that’s being greedy, and just a little bit racist. It was weird listening to him run through the used car salesman stuff trying to up sell us on an extended warranty with a Hank Azaria in the Birdcage thick accent. We drove it home today and have to take it in Wednesday to get cleaned up. We love it already. Getting LMJ in the van is effortless, and it has storage space for days. I may never drive anything else again.

5 comments:

MJ said...

For those wondering, it's a 2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Sage Green Metallic with Beige Leather interior. That's what color the title says; we don't know if it's blue, gray, green, whatever.

BTW, I thought my skilled negotiations would have been a larger part of your post but I guess it's actually not all about me. We made a pretty good team.

JSG said...

Welcome to the dark side, my friend. Just don't come running to me when you turn 40 and have to go buy yoruself a convertible to offset your advancing age and increasing comfort in the familymobile.

On another note, can I get you guys to come with me to do a little negotiating? I think I've been paying too much for my Grande Cafe Americanos.

LJ said...

I forgot to mention that Geronimo told us that his partner Bob was "meticulate".

LJ said...

I forgot to mention that Geronimo told us that his partner Bob was "meticulate".

MJ said...

Now we know twice for good measure. You'd leave out the S too if you had that lisp.