Thursday, November 22, 2007

7500 Calories Later

It’s Turkey Day so I’m going to do the obligatory “Stuff I’m glad I have in my life” post. We just finished dinner with my all of the grandparents (I wonder what they’re thankful for?) and I am thankful for my relationship with them. Not everyone has a good relationship with their families, and I don’t mean the “I think mom drinks a little bit too much during the holidays” kind of relationship. My ma and pa are two of my favorite people in the world. Actually, we’re kind of a nauseating Will Rogers scene with all the goodwill and happiness going on. Both MJ and I have hit the mother-in-law lottery. When we started dating Ronald Reagan was President. We used to watch Johnny Carson together. We had LMJ in May of 2007, yet there was never any pressure applied to procreate. How about your mothers (in-law)? I know a couple who got back from their honeymoon with the message, “So, is there any news?” on the answering machine. How do you get along with your mother-in-law?

I’m thankful for friends dumb enough to run a half-marathon and finish it smiling. EJG and JSG went running in the rain this morning and lived to tell the tale, which makes me think I can do it. Since I’ve already signed up for one in February this is a good thing. I’m thankful for friends with the cojones to call someone out on their passive racism to their face. Cora Spondence is the motherfu*&ing man. I’m thankful for friends who I’ve known for a billion years who started blogging as a time capsule for their little one, which helped push me to start this piece of life stealing crap. I’m thankful for having so many great people in my life.

Hopefully, at some point in the next few years all of the wonderful people that I know will be able to get together for Thanksgiving and be the gluttonous Americans we are; eating and drinking too much. I’ve mentioned this in my perfect day post along with knowing I’ve had more than my share of perfect days. I’m just a lucky guy.

4 comments:

MJ said...

It was a great day, relaxing and easy, full of friends and family. Not too different from the pre-LMJ years, and that's a good thing.

JSG said...

You are the angriest happiest guy I know.

But don't get us started on the mothers-in-law!

Anonymous said...

This is one of the things I'm very, very thankful for: children and in-laws with whom I have an excellent relationship. I'm also thankful that I became a grandparent before I entered the home; but parenthood is an extremely personal decision that no one can make for another. Thank you lj and mj for lmj and for just being you.

Cora Spondence said...

Oh man, you give me such a great toughass compliment and here I am with tears in my eyes reading your post.

It's not enough you always make me laugh, but now you've made me cry.