Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Tougher Than a $2 Steak

Today was shot day here in Shangri La. LMJ had to go to the doctor for her six month check up and immunizations and MJ convinced me to get a flu shot. Last time was not fun at all. It was the angriest I’ve ever seen her, and I thought today was going to be the same. It wasn’t she made her daddy so proud. Now, I’ve been a professional wrestling fan for thirty years. I used to watch it with my grandmother, and one of my all time favorites was, and is, Jesse “The Body” Ventura. After he left wrestling, but before he began governing Minnesota, he was an actor in a couple movies. His greatest role was Blain in the greatest guys’ movie ever, Predator[i]. When Blain is informed that he’s been shot and is bleeding he responds, “I ain’t got time to bleed”. That’s how LMJ dealt with her shot today – almost. She cried for about twenty seconds and was genuinely angry for another ten, but she’s six months old so we cut her some slack in the badass department. There is an unconfirmed, unsubstantiated rumor that LMJ complained about her three shots less than MJ complained about her one. I am in no position to comment, let alone confirm or deny, that this is or was the case. As a matter of fact we’re not going to deal with this issue at all. This post is about LMJ being a big girl, a tough cookie, a world class trooper. What I can confirm is that after voluntarily letting someone pump poison into my arm if I get the flu the bitching, moaning, whining, complaining, and bitching will be jacked up to notches unimagined with some moaning on the side.

[i] There is no argument on Predator’s place in the Pantheon of guy movies. While there are many better films than Predator there are no better guy movies. To put it in perspective, the Beatles White Album is considered by many to be the best album of all time, but Straight Out of Compton is an infinitely better gangsta rap record.

2 comments:

EJG said...

Judy's comment: LOOOOVE the title!

My comment; I remember bringing IG for her first shots. As soon as that lip went out and the tears started flowing, I got all choked up. I may have even teared. That's when I knew I was a dad. I would have taken that shot for her if I could.

Cora Spondence said...

I love that you compare your daughter to one of the toughest wrestlers/actors/governors in history. You gotta save that post to read on her wedding day.

BYW, Predator is the pinnacle of guy movies because it's all about a bunch of really ripped guys getting together in a sweaty place and watching each others' backs. Whoa, wait a minute...