Sunday, November 25, 2007

Just Spit Ballin'

Hermione Granger, Brenda Leigh Johnson, Temperance Brennan, and Helena Cain (even if she does have a liquor license, which is such limousine liberal crap if they don’t bother to show a sex scene) are the strong fictitious women that are on my mind right now. Up until a year ago I wouldn’t have given them much thought, but now I think about the characters LMJ will encounter as she grows up reading books, going to movies, and watching television. And since I truly believe that if I want something done right then I should do it myself; I will come up with a heroine suitable for my baby girl. Her name will be Elizabeth Graves – for a number of reasons that I may or may not get into at some later date. Right now I’m trying to create a strong female who is feminine, but not afraid to rip someone’s heart out and make them stare at it while they die. But she’s not a psychopath, which may disqualify me as a creator because we can only write what we know. There are a bunch of characters out there like this but none are quite right. She’s going to come from a stable loving family of adventurers instead of the orphan with the checkered past rescued by the Man. She’s going to be reluctant to go into the family business. She’s going to have magical powers, but I don’t know how strong they will be. I don’t want her to be Q, but I do want her to be more than Buffy. I’m thinking something Jedi like, but not queer. Man did Hayden Christensen mess everything up. I want her to save the world but she won’t have to sacrifice her soul to do it. She’s American. She lives in Florida, but spends a lot of time with her grandfather, who may or may not be dead, in the Caribbean. I don’t know if she’s in her teens or in her early twenties. She’s sweet and compassionate but she has a ruthless self confidence. That’s all I have for right now, but I would like to steal any and all of your ideas and pass them off as my own vis-à-vis Elizabeth Graves so please comment.

5 comments:

JSG said...

A dual life a-la Superman? Maybe an English teacher by day, superhuman by night? I think she needs a "Death Secretary" disguise.

Cora Spondence said...

Most heroines need a quirk, an eccentricity to make her accessible to her fan base. Give her Tourette's. Then you've got the Jersey demographic.

MJ said...

She should probably have a pilot's license. I got nothin' else right now. Good post though.

Anonymous said...

She needs to be a particularly skilled mechanic who loves machines (too many heroines--or she-roes--are into animals). A McGyver-like inventiveness would make her really special.

DiaBelo said...

If she's spending time in the Caribbean, then you need to describe how she can pick up a jellyfish with her bare hand. It's quite simple, really. You put your hand in the water behind his smooth side. Slowly and deliberately you move toward his smooth back, then in one quick motion (like ripping off a bandaid), you swoosh him down and then up (like a reverse u-turn), and lift him triumphantly out of the water, tentacles hanging down like dreadlocks. Her grandfather will teach her how to do this. It will totally freak out her North American friends.