Saturday, November 3, 2007

Fatherhood in the 'Hood.

We had some friends over tonight: JSG, EG, Cora Spondence, and CB. We get together with this group about once a month. At least we try to. We had matzo ball soup, challah bread, salad, and some great conversation. It ranged from Notre Dame football – they lost to Navy for the first time in forty-three years – to colonoscopies. We are a renaissance group. The music on the CD player was a Disney’s Greatest Hits. I don’t know which one, we have about ten. JSG thought that it was funny how things have changed over the last year. She said that eight months ago I wouldn’t have played anything other than something strictly gangsta. This is true, but I’ve always thought Disney tunes were gangsta, especially The Bear Necessities. So nothing has really changed. I will admit that Disney tunes have moved up in the rotation while Ice Cube has moved down, but that’s only because LMJ consistently falls asleep to Disney tunes. I don’t know whether or not she will fall asleep to Ice Cube. I haven’t tested it. On the one hand, all of his songs have a steady rhythm, which she seems to like, but on the other hand his songs have a steady rhythm of words that have to be changed or bleeped if the songs are going to be played on the radio. I’m trying to limit the foul language she hears. And since it’s football season I’m personally meeting her curse word quota. It’s involuntary. When the Seminoles fix their offense I’ll fix my language. Plus, her mother would feel awkward if her first words were racial slurs. She’s worried about that first meeting with LMJ’s pre-school teacher being uncomfortable. For me, uncomfortable is just a state of mind, but I’m a team player so LMJ will learn to swear in the street like all the other kids.

5 comments:

MJ said...

I love the last line. Good post. I like all of your posts about being a dad though. :)

Anonymous said...

Did you see the FSU BC score last night? It's time!
cj

JSG said...

Bear necessities gangsta'? Maybe Under the Sea.

Speaking of team players, EJG just became so frustrated with the Jags that he's going to weed the yard. Now that's extreme.

MJ said...

I wish that was how LJ handled football frustration. He just yells more. Weeding would be much more productive.

Cora Spondence said...

Disneytunes as gangsta rap? Walt is spinning like an ADD toddler in his grave.