Sunday, January 4, 2009

Git 'Er Done

Go home. This is the Vacation Police. If you all just grab your stuff and leave there won’t be any hassle.

It’s Sunday, and tomorrow the work routine begins again. It’s a brand new year full of brand new opportunities. We still have to come up with a name for the decade. I don’t really like “the aughties”. There are forty pounds to lose and ten races to run, including the River Run. It’s time to start training for a triathlon. If a seventy-nine year old women can finish the Ironman, which is a merciless race where competitors are disqualified if they don't finish the ocean swim in under a certain time, what possible excuse can I have for not being able to finish one of the local triathlons? I have another chance to motivate my family to exercise. There will be more family running, biking, and swimming or LJ will be an a-hole of unprecedented intensity. It’s just your life; it’s not anything really important. There is a bunch of writing to do. If the retarded kid across the street can redefine Irish literature, the least I can do is bang out a blog entry everyday. I can spend a Saturday afternoon planning my novel. I can stop procrastinating and take care of my own financial planning (physician heal thyself). While I’m willing to bet my life on my indestructibility, I’m not willing to bet LMJ’s future. Effort is the order of the day. And while I may be in a Tony Robbins mood “effort” is still a noun. I will not be “efforting” anything. I will be taking a more proactive role in trying to help those close to me achieve what they want to achieve, whether that’s peace of mind or a redone kitchen. However, my biggest challenge for 2009 will be to love my job, but I think I can do it.

2 comments:

MJ said...

That's so sweet. Effort goes a long way in the world so I think it's a good place to start.

JSG said...

Love your job? That's a long list of resolutions.