Thursday, January 8, 2009

What To Do With A Sleeping Baby

I’m at home with a baby who has a head cold. She didn’t sleep well last night, therefore neither did her parents. We went outside this morning and played. I’m a big believer in the recuperative powers of physical activity and fresh air. We played in the sand. We played in my car. We played with a beach ball. We played with a basketball. We had an all around good time. Then I decided to take her on a walk. It would keep her outside in the sunshine longer, and it would let me work some of the lactic acid out of my legs - a very laid back recovery run. We were going to walk down to the Starbucks in Five Points, pick up a pound of that uncut stuff, and walk back. The route is between 3.18 and 3.20 miles, depending on how my 305 is feeling. It takes about 45 minutes there and back. We started up the block. I was singing Let’s Go Driving in an Automobile to her when I looked down and she was asleep. We were .66 mile into the walk, and I had an executive decision to make. Do I keep walking and let her get a guaranteed half hour of sleep in the sun or do I turn around and go home so she can sleep in a warm bed for up to two hours, but risk her getting no sleep and spending the rest of the day cranky? I rolled the dice. Fortune favors the bold. We went home and she slept for a good ninety minutes, which confirmed that she has more than just the sniffles – poor, sweet, silly baby. She woke up happy and rested. We had some lunch while we watched a Sesame Street Podcast. Then we finished our walk. Unfortunately, I forgot to stop at Starbucks and get some coffee. Hopefully, MJ is reading this at work instead of doing her job and stops on her way home.

2 comments:

MJ said...

Nope, but I was smart enough to ask my mom to stop and get some. What would we do without her?

Good dad post. Your audience of moms will probably like it.

BellsOn said...

You're right, MJ. What a dad! May be time to consider a brother or sister for that little one.