Friday, January 30, 2009

On a Scale of 1 to 10 I Give It an ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!

I mentioned my new nutritional supplements a couple of days ago, the L-Carnitine and the Beta Alanine. Yesterday was the first day that I’ve had to really put them to the test. The rest of the week has been taken up paying for LMJ’s college and staying in compliance with the state of Florida. Back and rear delts were up, and I wasn’t really excited to be in the gym. LMJ decided she wanted to be up at midnight the previous night and I didn’t get much good sleep. 5am gets here quickly. Back means deadlifts and deadlifts suck, especially when I don’t want to do them, but I need to continue losing weight so deads it was. I had to pump myself up to go heavy, and a dude was staring at me like I had mental problems, which I did. I didn’t want to be there. After convincing myself that ten reps wasn’t nuthin’ but a peanut I blasted through twelve reps. I got light headed but that just means it was a good set. The intensity of my weight lifting was off the frickin’ chart. When I was finished I was spent, and there was no way I was pushing it on my cardio. I was taking it easy on the elliptical when I looked down at my numbers and was shocked. I was burning calories at a rate I haven’t burned them in more than a year – cruising. I got caught up in a particularly kick-ass tune and ran right through my time. The machine shut down. That’s how I knew I was done. Uh, okay. I was stunned. I thought it had broken and I was about to get frustrated that I was going to have to change machines. I’m sold on the amino acids, and there’s a really cool side effect bonus to taking the Beta Alanine. It makes my skin tingle when I take it. It has something to do with neurons doing new things and nerve endings near the surface of my skin getting used to it. It’s only supposed to last about a week, bummer.

2 comments:

MJ said...

Taking anything to enhance a workout makes me nervous--especially when you start describing side effects.

JSG said...

Sticking a 9 volt battery in your mouth makes your tongue tingle, you know.

...for when the tingle ends...