Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Why Am I Like Pierre?

Why don’t I care about my professional continuing education? I just finished my 24 hours of continuing education to maintain my Florida insurance license. I breezed through the material; studying for the test as opposed to learning anything. I’ve been doing this for almost seven years and there are now only two types of professional information for me: stuff I already know and stuff it is physically impossible in the universe I occupy to care less about. If the Large Hedron Collider ripped a hole in space and time, and created a black hole that was sucking the universe back into a singularity maybe the massive gravitational forces could produce an instant where I cared less about this stuff than I currently do. The calculus can go both ways. I don’t deal with traditional health insurance because it’s a domain of evil. The only way to gain access to its inner workings is to howl like a wolf, and a witch will open a door. However, I do deal with long term care insurance and disability insurance so I’m forced to hold a health insurance license. One is good for retired people who want to keep their stuff, sometimes. The other is good for working people who want to keep their stuff, sometimes. That’s all that’s really important about the subject to me. I can’t force myself to slog through ten thousand words about the amendments made to ERISA in 1983. That was twenty-five years ago. A child conceived in the excitement of those amendments is now old enough to run for congress. Even if I did run into an entity still operating under the pre-1983 ERISA, we would rip everything up and start all over like we were in a new millennium or something. I put off my CE until the last moment. I was going to get fined $250 if it wasn’t done by Saturday. I’ve had two years to do it. I don’t like this attitude. I want to be super extra excited to learn about the subtleties and nuances of my chosen craft, or at least have the discipline and willpower to pretend that I am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite line: A child conceived in the excitement of those amendments is now old enough to run for congress.

I'm glad you're not paying a fine!