Monday, January 5, 2009

What lead my daughter to the Tribe or I'm Not Racist. You're Racist for Thinking I'm Racist (part II)

My daughter discovered latkes about ten days ago and loves them. What’s not to love, but she’s just a little girl. My wife likes to say she, my daughter, has a sophisticated palate, but there were onions in the latkes, and what 19 month old likes onions? I guess mine does. If you click on the latke link you can see a picture of her enjoying her fried potatoes Chosen People style. When LMJ chooses Judaism as her way to serve God I’ll look back to this moment. There’s no real downside. There may have been more of a downside if she was a boy, but since she’s a girl there’s no circumcision anxiety. Lisa Bonet, Lenny Kravitz, and Jenny from the Jeffersons have already blazed the biracial Jewish trail for her. She’ll have one day of penance each year on Yom Kippur as opposed to forty days of Lent. There’s no need to pay retail in sin. That last sentence is a total rip-off of a John Stewart joke from his act from fifteen years ago. Her mother is already instructing her in the mysteries of voicing one’s true suffering so LMJ is going to be way ahead of the game. There’s a good chance I’ll be sending her to Hebrew school anyway, just because kids have it too easy these days, and I remember growing up that none of my Jewish friends liked missing out on soccer and kickball to learn the language of the prophets. Finally, if she’s a Jew she’ll have the stereotype Royal Flush. She’ll have the gifts of a big booty, crazy athleticism, and rhythm from my people. Her mother’s people give her the gifts of a work ethic, organization, and brutality on a historic scale. The Jews will give her an overdeveloped sense of self and a nose for money. Plus, since all Blacks know each other and all Jews know each other LMJ will know everybody, and it’s all due to a tasty treat.

5 comments:

LJ said...

How racist is blogger? I spell checked my post in the blogger window before I published it, and neither latke nor Yom Kippur are words blogger recognizes. When I wrote latke it assumed I misspelled latex. Sigh, in this day and age.

Beth said...

LOL LJ! BTW, LMJ and William share a birthday, not Seth!

JSG said...

Glad to have contributed. There is no such thing as an overdeveloped sense of self.

I am looking for a more Jew-friendly blogging site.

Christina said...

If you do decide to educate her in the ways of the chosen, I have a few people who would LOVE to help with that! She could be a JAP.

Also, do not forget Jews are stereotypically funny...Seinfeld, Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, Goldie Hawn, ect.

Blogger does not speak foreign languages like Yiddish!

Anonymous said...

Where is this JAP/BAP/polyethnic princess going to get a booty? We don't have them in our family.