Monday, January 19, 2009

There's Some Big Thing Tomorrow Isn't There?

I signed up for some races today, and then decided to do some interval training at the track to get ready for the Super Sunday 5k two weeks from now. Interval training sucks. It’s nothing but pain. It had better work. I better beat my 2007 times in both the Ortega River Run and the Gate River Run. I had a massive brain fart last year and forgot to sign up for either race. Beating my time in the Gate shouldn’t be a problem. The G’s and I ran that just to finish. If we weren’t dead when we crossed the finish line it meant we’d won. The Ortega might be a problem. I was almost thirty pounds lighter and in the best shape I’ve been in since the ‘80’s. Right now the goal is to finish this upcoming 5k in less than thirty minutes. I need to look up and see a 2 in the tens of minutes spot when I cross the finish line. Tonight I ran 3 x .5mi at an 8 minute mile pace with a 2 minute rest period. I’m happy that my third interval was faster than my second. I ran under control the entire time, and my heart rate didn’t get too high. The next step is dropping some weight. We had Maggianos for dinner. I had the braciole. In case anyone doesn’t know, braciole are meat stuffed meat rolls served over pasta with a simple tomato sauce. It’s what Jesus served at the Last Supper. I don’t think it helped me get any leaner, but like they say, the best time to start a diet is tomorrow. I’ve got my schedule set for the next two weeks, and I’m going to try to get in a workout every day including the days I’m with LMJ.

Obama voice: This is a time that calls for responsibility; a time that calls for effort; a time to meet adversity head on. When the world asks, “Can we put that third bearclaw down?” I say, “Yes we can!” When the world asks, “Can we stay on the elliptical machine when we’ve forgotten our iPod?” I say, “Yes we can!” When the world asks, “Can we get in the pool even though it’s cold as a bitch outside (meteorological term)? I say, “Yes we can!” I say, “Yes we can and yes we will!” God bless you. And God bless the United States of America.

2 comments:

MJ said...

I chuckled at multiple points during this post. I remember when you were in that great shape--pre-LMJ. Nobody mentioned that men have baby weight too.

Good job setting goals and whatnot.

JSG said...

I need that voice when I get to mile 10 of a half.