Sunday, June 14, 2009

Another Florida Morning

Well, it was 8:30 in the morning and we didn’t have any plans for the day so we went to the beach… again. The tide was out so there was this really great tidal pool. It was a foot and a half deep at its deepest and fifty meters from the rest of the ocean. This was the perfect balance between safety and fun for the baby girl and me. She was able to play and get wet, and I didn’t have to worry about her getting swept away to Bermuda. The Atlantic got closer every minute but it was gradual and the changing shore line kept everything fresh. We all sat on the edge of the pool and let little fish nibble our feet, which was freaky. It happens all the time whenever we’re in the ocean but watching it and thinking about it was strange and creepy. The only possible downside was that the nearly constant rain is keeping the ocean cold. Normally at this time of year the water feels like a bathtub, but on the other hand there haven’t been any violent storms. I like to think the monsoons we’ve been having are releasing the energy that has been turning into hurricanes for the past fifteen years. I hope so anyway. But I digress. We got used to the water and had the marine exfoliation. We saw lots of dolphins. The very first one we saw wasn’t more than fifty meters off shore. He was so close that I wanted to swim after him. If I’d had my goggles I don’t think I would have been able to resist. I wouldn’t have been able to catch him. Dolphins swim better than humans. It’s science. But wild dolphins are the coolest things in the world. I was beginning to think that I was just a big geek, but the last couple of times we’ve seen dolphins I’ve watched the lifeguards on duty and they get jacked up about them too. I feel like this is a boring post because my writing about our beach trips is becoming repetitive, but when I read these posts years from now I know it will make my happy. Nobody has ever been on their deathbed and wished they hadn’t spent so much time at the beach or wished they hadn’t seen so many dolphins.

1 comment:

MJ said...

Yea, the beach makes me happy too. :)