Friday, June 12, 2009

A Slotted Spoon Can Catch A Potato

A couple of notes before I get into Into the Woods. First, who the hell is awake at eleven o’clock at night? Second, it’s best to ease into a trapezius workout if you don’t want to walk around with a tension headache for two days. And D, if it’s more than an hour past MJ’s bedtime I should probably drive.

We saw Into the Woods tonight starring JSG. That’s who we went to see, and that’s who we cared about. The play was a lot of fun. It was smart and funny and the whole cast did a great job. Every other play I’ve ever seen, which isn’t many, somebody in the cast isn’t pulling his or her weight, but Theatre Jacksonville cast the hell out of this play. Everybody could sing, and that’s hard to do. Renee Zellweger got an Oscar nomination for Chicago, but I don’t think she would have made the cut tonight. EJG was also in the cast but had to bow out because of brain surgery. I don’t know if EJG is cut out for stardom. I admit my knowledge of theater production is limited to what I learned from Showgirls, but he seemed to be way too supportive of the play and the cast. There was a complete absence of Diva like behavior. I know if Sean Penn had driven from Orange Park to San Marco for three or four months and had to bow out at the last minute he’d be outside the theater flicking lit cigarettes at people walking by, if he showed up at all. Maybe Jennifer Lopez will open a school. I don’t know if the play was long or I’m just old, but I’m surprised I didn’t swallow the people in front of me the way I was yawning. Don’t misunderstand me, the show was very entertaining. I was caught up in the story. I really needed to find out how it ended. MJ and I just prefer a matinee. That way we can catch the early bird special (blue plate, baby) with the half price dessert at the Cracker Barrel and be home in time for Wheel of Fortune.

No comments: