Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Serenity Now

I was all set to do interval training this morning but someone decided to park two trucks on the track. Great! I got dressed and drove down to the Y for nothing. All I want to do is train for about forty-five minutes before it gets too hot. But this is Florida so it’s already 90+ degrees outside. I can’t do interval training on a dreadmill because it’s dangerous. I don’t want to press a wrong button and go flying backwards through the glass that separates the upstairs gym from the downstairs pool. Now I have to figure something else out. I don’t know about anyone else but when my schedule gets disrupted like that it throws off my whole day. Now I’m completely off schedule and grumpy. If I don’t squeeze in an effort today it ruins the whole week. There’s one apparatus in the Y playground. I can’t imagine what could possibly be wrong with that one apparatus that would require two huge trucks to fix. The jungle gym cost $2,000 at most and it’s been there at least five years. The two trucks alone burned that much diesel getting onto the track, and that’s before the labor costs of the five guys – that I saw, there could have been more – who got out of the trucks to presumably fix what ever was wrong with the giant piece of plastic. I’m trying to fit some more activities into my schedule and this kind of stuff drives me up a wall. There are some things I need to be ready for when LMJ turns five (arbitrary but carved in granite). Things I think it’s important for her to be exposed to as she grows up, and I have no idea how I’m going to fit them into my schedule, let alone hers. Change is hard and I need to remember that. I’ll find my groove and it will become routine. I also need to remember that I’m making a philosophical change in how I live my life as I add these new activities, and it also is going to take some time. I think my temper tantrum is over.

1 comment:

MJ said...

I'm glad you got in a workout later. Disaster averted--sort of.