Wednesday, June 24, 2009

It's Hot

It is just too hot. Due to my back injury I’m staying away from the weights, and I didn’t have the mental energy to spend two hours in the Y on the elliptical and the dreadmill. So I had to tough it out outside. I walked a mile around the track to warm up my back and then jogged to get my heart rate over 120. The plan was to run from the Y to Memorial Park and back, hydrate, then repeat. The first lap went fine. I didn’t push it. I took my time. I wasn’t trying to impress anyone. I even took a break while I was drinking my water when I ran into a guy I used to work with. Mike is one of the few interesting people I’ve met doing what I do. He was a professional baseball player before he got into wealth management. He never made it to the major leagues but he did get all the way to triple A, which is a huge accomplishment. I just don’t think he was big enough. He’s about 5’9” and 160lbs. He played center field and today’s big league outfielders are 6’4” and 240lbs. Mickey Mantle weighed 220lbs when he played 50 years ago. It was always funny watching Mike work. Being a professional athlete forces a different level of focus. Anyway, he was out in the noon day sun running just like me, but he was finishing up while I was right in the middle. He was running with another guy he works with, Todd, and I may start hooking up with them when I can’t get my workout done in the morning. Mike and Todd went on about their business, and I tried to head back to Memorial Park. I was rehydrated, rested, and ready but the sun had different ideas. I started jogging and before I had gone a quarter of a mile my heart rate was over 160. I was fine cardiovascularly. I just couldn’t cool down and my body started to freak out. So I spent the next forty minutes walking to Memorial Park and back to the Y. I wasn’t able to keep my heart rate in my aerobic zone for any length of time on the second lap, but I did burn a bunch of calories so it wasn’t a total loss. I just have to find a way to get out of the house to run before 7am. It will make my life a lot easier.

1 comment:

MJ said...

Getting out before 7 am. Make your work-out easier? Yes. Make your life easier? I seriously doubt it. :)