Tuesday, June 30, 2009

This is Kinda How My Mind Works.

There seems to be some confusion about yesterday’s post title at least amongst some of you. Most of you probably chalked it up to my strangeness or random nature, but a question was asked so I will answer it. I was answering the question in the comments section from yesterday’s post, but then I figured I could stretch it out into an entire post. And since nothing interesting happened to me today, I’m killing two birds with one stone. The title from yesterday stems from Einstein’s quote, “God doesn’t play dice with the universe”. I love that quote. It’s succinct and it sums up what Einstein thought about the illogic of quantum mechanics and the arrogance of its supporters, at the time all geniuses, in seven words. I imagine the dumbest guy involved in this argument had an IQ of about 240, most likely won, at least a Fields medal, and possibly a Nobel Prize. These men were deconstructing the mysteries of the universe, thinking things no one had thought before, and ol’ Albert hit him with a zinger. They couldn’t top it going up intellectually – can’t be done – so why not go down. Hence the title to yesterday’s post, “He does if he’s black.” A statement like that made in the early twentieth century would have just been stupid because the early pioneers of quantum mechanics were from about twelve different places in the world and didn’t share a common culture, but in the early twenty-first century it’s something Michael from The Office would say if he was a theoretical physicist, and the world is so much smaller. It’s awkward comedy gold if the guy who said it was an actual racist, and it’s still ballsy if he’s just trying to be funny. If he’s black, well this is physics so we know he isn’t “Black” as in African-American. I also like the potential domino effect (if he’s Black He probably plays that too) of this sliding into a discussion about the racial make up of the people in the Bible – Black Jesus – or as we original men, as opposed to the grafted devils responsible for all the evil in the world, like to call him Jesus or Bro. I probably need to get some psychiatric help.

6 comments:

MJ said...

So helpful. Thanks for taking us further into the depths of your mind.

JSG said...

Why did I click on a post with this title?

BellsOn said...

At least this one provided the laughs. Thanks.

Beth said...

Thanks for the explanation LJ! Duh--I feel kind of dumb. Even with this explanation, it still took reading it twice for me to get it. But that's my bad--not yours! I still don't understand the quantum physics part though. But please--feel free to move on. LOL!

Anonymous said...

I think you're having dolphin withdrawal.

tainij said...

I didn't understand this any better than I understood the last one. Stream of consciousness? Ulysses?