Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Back in the Saddle

Man, I love me some heat! I got a good night’s rest last night so I was feeling much better this morning. I had an early appointment and then it was off to the gym for weights, cardio work, and some interval training. I was full of energy and ready to get back into my routine. I was also thrilled that today was the first in about a month where it didn’t rain. I hit my shoulders and triceps, ran five miles on the treadmill, and ran 10x400 intervals. I was stuck doing the interval training last because it was so damn hot. I knew that when I was done that I would be overheated and dehydrated, and wouldn’t be able to do anything else. I also took a protein drink and a quart of water with me so I could refuel and rehydrate like I’m supposed to. The treadmill was both boring and exactly what I needed. I was able to set it on a speed and control my heart rate. Keeping my heart rate under 150 is weird. I don’t feel like I’m actually doing anything. That wasn’t the case with the intervals. I didn’t come close to hitting my goals for the last six reps (out of 10). I don’t think I’m supposed to do intervals after a distance run, and I don’t think I’m supposed to run in 90 degree heat, but I wouldn’t be me if I did what I was supposed to do. I never felt bad so I continued to press. Taking in fluids and calories every 15 to 20 minutes makes a huge difference. It’s definitely worth carrying around a bottle, which I hate. I don’t like stuff touching me when I exercise. I take off my wedding ring when I run. Carrying a bottle is a huge step for me. I’m going to have to get one of those runner’s utility belts. I learned a lot today, but what I’m proud of most is that I learned to drink while running without choking. Tomorrow is weights and swimming.

No comments: