Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

We got through the whole day without going to the beach. Big ups to us for our Spartan like stoicism and discipline. Today was a very good Father’s Day. We didn’t do much other than spend the day together. We had a meat heavy brunch with eggs, bacon, and turkey sausage. There were no leftovers. LMJ took a big chunk out of the bacon pile. I think she’s inherited my meat tooth. Even though there weren’t any mimosas LMJ and MJ took a long nap. I spent those two hours getting better at finding the Phrygian mode all over my guitar neck. The mystical nature of music is starting to freak me out, but that’s a post for another day. After everyone woke up we went on a leisurely bike ride around Riverside. Jacksonville is truly a beautiful city, even when it’s 97 degrees outside. I love it when the weather is hot enough for me to smell concrete and asphalt vapors. We rode along the river, and since we were moving at about a ten mile an hour clip – not fast for a bike at all – the moving air helped to keep us relatively cool. After the bike ride we had leftover pizza and calzone for dinner, and made a special trip to McDonald’s for vanilla cones. McDonald’s vanilla cones and hot fudge sundaes are without a doubt the best deal in fast food at the price of $1. Although LMJ got a slightly smaller portion than the rest of us, she ate her whole cone with almost no help. I cleaned up the edges at the beginning. I think she’s inherited her mom’s sweet tooth. We thought about going out to brunch at a nice restaurant, Orsay. We also thought about going out to brunch at a not so nice restaurant, Panera. And both of those options would have been nice, but I was just as happy, if not happier, to keep everything low key and hang out with my girls. If every Father’s day is just like this one then I’ll be a happy dad.

2 comments:

MJ said...

It's a pretty good life when your normal days make you happy. Thanks for being a great dad. We love you!

JSG said...

Lots of food and lots of inherited "teeth" on your special day!