Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Everybody Wanna Be a Triathlete. Don't Nobody Wanna Train in No Hot Ass Heat.

I don’t know what it is, but I can’t get out of the house in the morning. I’ve set reminders in my Outlook. I’ve gone to bed early. I’ve gotten up early. It doesn’t matter. I’m not getting to the gym before 8 am. I didn’t even try this morning. I was woken up at 7:04 by a two year old shoving me and telling me to get up. I moped around the house until about 8:30 and then went to work. I had to run long today. I had to. And since it was already 90 degrees by the time I arrived at my office I figured I might as well see how bad “bad” could get. I came home around 12:30 for lunch and a run in the afternoon sunshine. Doesn’t that sound nice? It wasn’t. I weighed myself before I ran, and I didn’t bring any fluids. I wanted to see how much I actually sweat. My run got off to an inauspicious start when my watch pretended it couldn’t find some satellites. It’s frustrating because my cell phone and the GPS in the van find them toot sweet. So I spent a few minutes sitting on my stoop waiting for my watch to get its act together. I did my regular five mile run: a mile north into Avondale, down along the river two and a half miles into Memorial Park, and a mile and a half back to my house. I tried not to die. That was the goal, and since I’m writing this, win for me. I ran slowly. It is so hard to keep my heart rate under control in this heat, but I did better than last week, so I think it can be done. I finished my run in fifty-nine minutes flat and lost four and a half pounds doing it. I wanted to get a rough gauge on my fluid levels over an hour of exercise in extreme heat. I think the dehydration/over-hydration rule of thumb is 10% of bodyweight and now I have an idea of where I am. I’m happy with today’s effort. I controlled my run but I suffered in the heat, so I got the best of both worlds. I’m going to try to get to the track early tomorrow for some interval training and then some time in the pool. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

MJ said...

We'll miss you while we're frolicking at the beach. :)

JSG said...

Please, please, please hydrate. Every 15 minutes in this heat. Superman would even stop for a sip midday June in North Florida.

tainij said...

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun. Please hydrate. I have no wish to visit you in the hospital.

MJ said...

Maybe I should've said something showing more concern, in retrospect.