Thursday, June 4, 2009

I'm Getting Old and I'm a Snob

Beth wrote about taking her older boy to get a haircut and forgetting that the barber shop was close to a military base. The Reader’s Digest version is he walked out with a high and tight, jarhead style. It’s funny in a good way. What I saw Tuesday night in Target wasn’t funny. A little boy who was eight years old at the absolute oldest had two little blue stud earrings that were the same color as his blue t-shirt and his blue crocs. Maybe I’m old, but let’s try mixing in a “no” or two. LMJ and I watched him, and he wasn’t coming across as a future friend of Dorothy or a future fan of Oscar Wilde. He was just a victim of bad fashion. Now back in the good old days, the late 70’s, we would have teased him, and bullied him, and threw rocks at him, until he changed his wardrobe or died. That’s Darwinism and it’s natural. We’re pack animals and if the parents won’t keep Paddy Wagon (named after where he was conceived) in line then it’s up to his fellow pups. No one is a lone wolf at eight. Not even real wolves (canis lupus), at eight they’re past their prime and have probably been dead for two years. I digress. I think my biggest problem, after the jewelry to clothes color coordination, is the crocs. Little kids should wear shoes they can run in because that’s how they get places, and you can’t run in cheap clogs. The earrings make me sad. Why? Who thinks that looks good? Little boys clothes should consist of crap their moms make them wear and stuff representing their favorite teams and toys. That’s all. Parents should know this. I just hope the earrings were a result of a lack of parenting by letting little PW get his ears pierced and not a result of mom and this weeks boyfriend thinking it would look cool.

1 comment:

tainij said...

I saw a two year old with spiked hair yesterday. I doubt that spikes and gel were his big idea. Likewise, I seriously doubt that a six or eight year boy old begs mom for pierced ears. Let's hear it for parenting licenses!