Thursday, June 11, 2009

I'm Starting to Get the Runner's High, I Think

This new training is really starting to freak me out. Once again as soon as the sun crept over the dawn line this morning the temperature shot up to inferno, so I exercised inside. Today’s routine was weights with legs, swimming the elliptical, and the dreadmill. I kept the weights low key. I did just enough to fill my legs with blood and then it was down to the pool, which had one dude taking up two lanes for his aqua aerobics and the other lanes were full with two people doing laps in each one. I can’t really complain about the guy taking up two lanes. I’m sure he fought for my freedom with General Washington at Valley Forge. I am thinking about investing in a box of Baby Ruths to see if I can lower pool traffic levels. I made a point of heart rate control on the elliptical, and the hour went by effortlessly. I was never out of breath, I was never in pain, yet I still burned almost seven hundred calories. I forgot my water bottle, and I only remembered it as I was heading to the water fountain between my elliptical and dreadmill (that’s what I’m calling it from now on) sessions. I was fully prepared to be “that guy” and drink until I wasn’t thirsty, but they had the thing set on low flow or something. I needed it cranked up to hydrant. I got bored and hopped on the DM. Once again the focus was to keep my heart rate below 150, and once again I cruised right through the workout, burning another three hundred calories. I knew I was done because the thing stopped and beeped at me. I’m a thousand calories in, according to my tricked out watch, and I don’t feel like I’m going to die. My legs were a little bit tight walking to my car and I was drenched in sweat, but that was the only way I knew I had exercised this morning. I feel frickin’ great. I don’t know if I’m going to be able to get used to that.

No comments: