Sunday, June 7, 2009

Watersports, Birth Control, and It Looks Good on Paper

Childcare, it seems, is just like everything else. A good plan makes things go a lot smoother. Last night I had an agenda and it eliminated television, which eliminated tantrums, and both LMJ and I got a good night’s sleep. She woke up looking for Mommy again this morning, but unlike yesterday, I had an answer she wanted to hear. I told her we were going to the beach and Mommy would be there. I had planned on putting her in a pretty pink and white dress that MJ had requested, but LMJ said no, beach equals swimsuit and water shoes. This was fine. I packed her dress instead of her swimsuit along with some breakfast for LMJ and we were out the door. We got to the beach without incident and were hanging out in ME’s condo when I realized I had forgotten my swimsuit. MJ decided we needed to make a run to Target to get me a new suit because EVERYBODY had to get in the pool. Jump forward to a half an hour later and I was the only person over eight in the pool. It rained for the last two days so the pool water was very cold. It was funny watching LMJ try to get in. She desperately wanted to swim but every time she got past belly button deep the cold water would take her breath away and she would have to turn around. The rest of MJ’s crew had no intention of getting in and said so in as many words. I think she started to feel guilty that she made me get a new suit and I was the only one in the pool, so after about twenty minutes she took the plunge. I was having fun, but the best part of the day was watching all the kids interact. Two five year olds make a lot of noise, and helped tip today’s balance in favor of LMJ being an only child. The problem wasn’t that they behaved badly; it was that they were acting like normal five year olds, and I don’t know if I’m up for going through that twice. MJ and her friends are planning a Disney cruise trip in five years with the kids: a thirteen year old girl, a ten year old girl, a ten year old boy, an eight year old boy, a seven year old girl, a six year old girl, and a five year old girl vs. four women in their forties. WHO YA GOT? I’m really bummed that I’m going to have to miss it, but I’ve got that thing at work that week.

4 comments:

MJ said...

love the post, love that you were the only one swimming to the bottom for earplugs, love that you figured out a plan with LMJ, love you

JSG said...

Do the cruise. You'll have the best adult vacation ever. You think your kids love you until some dude in a mouse suit is more interesting.

Beth said...

Love your comment MJ! And now that we've done it two years in a row, I think we'll always have to find a way to make LJ a small part of girls' weekend!

Cora Spondence said...

The only way you can answer such pressing matters is by invoking WWWD*?
*What would Worf do?