Sunday, July 19, 2009

100% Being Dad Day

MJ wrote a little bit about the baby girl’s first splinter. I got it out with some tweezers. LMJ was oblivious to the whole thing. She knows we told her she had a splinter, she may have even seen the splinter, but she wasn’t affected by the splinter in the least. It seems to have gotten under the first layer of skin but didn’t penetrate any deeper. She sat still for her surgery like a champ. She didn’t complain at all. I thought I was squeezing her finger kind of hard, but she never made a peep. She was much more interested in explaining that her kitty is a tiger – roaarrr!!! Removing the splinter made me feel like a dad, and that’s a top notch feeling.

LMJ also encountered other kids today and got teased by one for the first time. We went to Barnes & Noble and the train set in the children’s section was full of three and four year old boys. LMJ wanted to play too, but was a little bit hesitant. I’m always stuck in these situations. Part of me wants to push her into the mosh pit and tell her to stand up for herself, and part of me wants to get her out of there so she doesn’t have to deal with stupid little boys. I know both of those are wrong for her at age two, but the right thing to do, letting her fend for herself on her own terms, is excruciating. She stood on the outside for a long time just watching, and when it was her turn with the train car she wasn’t intimidated at all. She even played longer than she really wanted to because she didn’t want to give up her rightfully earned spot to one of the little chimps flailing around. We’re on the right path. Her second encounter was at the park where a little boy who was three or four was playing on one of the jungle gyms. He was nice at first. I think he wanted to play with LMJ, but she was staring him down. I guess when he figured she wasn’t going to play with him, he stuck his tongue out and teased “Nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah” twice and went down the sliding board. LMJ just looked at him like he had rabies, which was fine with me. I really have no idea how I’m going to let her go to nursery school. Hopefully, the My Gym sessions will ease her mother and me into an emotional place where that can happen.

1 comment:

MJ said...

Shoot, I was worried she was going to love that “Nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah” song and sing it at us. That little boy was not good at asking others to play but that's all he wanted.
Good job on the splinter, Daddy! I tried all day and was searching the internet for specialty tweezers (whch I'll probably still buy.)