Monday, July 27, 2009

Exercise and Diet Notes.

No more speed work until I’m under two bills. I’ve set a weight goal for myself, and while I’m off to a good start, I have a very long way to go. 190 lbs. isn’t over the horizon but it’s not easy to see right now. I went for a run this morning and was feeling good so I decided to sprint my lap around the circle at Memorial Park and sprint on the straightaway along the river. Now it’s fourteen hours later and my ankles, hips, lower back, and lower abdominals are giving me problems. Strangely, my shins and calves don’t hurt – yet. I guess I’m too heavy to sprint on concrete and asphalt. It looks cool on my Garmin stats to see high speeds but my body just can’t take it. Oh well, there’s nothing wrong with puttering around like I’m seventy, at least until I’ve dropped some more weight. I did enough damage this morning that I doubt I’ll run for the rest of the week, which means I’ll be spending time on the elliptical machine. At this point calories are calories. I may mix in some time in the swimming pool, but it’s such a hassle bringing a change of clothes and avoiding the cornucopia of fungi, molds, and bacteria that coat the YMCA locker room floor. I feel much more comfortable, from an infection stand point, swimming in the ocean on the weekends. I’m picking the drowning poison over the infectious disease poison. Until then, it’s old school weights and cardio. I’m going to be extra prima sore this week. I haven’t lifted in two or three weeks. I could check my blog posts, but I don’t want to get depressed. On the positive side, my dieting is going very well. Thanks in part to some world class blueberries. I don’t know what it is about the current crop at Publix, but they’re like candy. I’m also fitting into more of my clothes, which is encouraging. I’m looking forward to tomorrow.

1 comment:

MJ said...

I'm always impressed at your efforts to diet and exercise. Sometimes I think I'm your biggest saboteur.