Saturday, July 25, 2009

When Did Professionalism Die?

Today felt like a Sunday even though it was a Saturday. We cleaned house this morning and I gave twenty-three shirts to Goodwill. MJ doesn’t think I can value them at $50 a piece for tax purposes. I’m doing it anyway. A few of them are Ralph Lauren and more than a few are very rare race t-shirts. I don’t think the IRS will come after me for eleven hundred bucks. It’s not cost effective. Maybe my aggressive tax avoidance is giving me bad karma because we’re having problems with our new water heaters. We think the plumbers did something wrong because they’re plumbers. It seems that there’s not enough water flow going through the heater so it shuts down to prevent overheating and we’re getting hot-cold-hot showers. It’s not a big deal right now during the dog days, but it will be huge frickin’ deal in December. A crappy water heater is what caused Charles Whitman to climb a bell tower with his rifle. Unfortunately, the water heaters aren’t the only things the plumbers screwed up. They forgot to turn off the water when they started taking out the old water heater and sprayed water all over the attic. We found this out last night when MJ looked up and saw a huge water stain on the kitchen ceiling. It’s almost like this guy is trying to wear us down with his incompetence. Now that’s going to have to be cut out and redone. These home repairs have been nothing but the exact nightmare we were afraid of. Why can’t anyone just do what they’re supposed to do? What’s wrong with doing a good a job and paying attention to detail? If I don’t pay attention to detail I get sued. I know a guy who spent the last twenty years saving up for his dream home, and the last thing he did before he broke ground was get his general contractor’s license because he knew he couldn’t trust anyone to do what he wanted. I think he was on to something. I’m enrolling CG in classes at FCCJ as we speak. Whoops! CG? I’m enrolling you in some classes at FCCJ.

No comments: