Thursday, July 16, 2009

I'm Trying To Save Lives or What Would Sinatra Do?

I remember a corporate thing Waddell & Reed had when I was there at some golf resort in Tampa. It was about ten o’clock in the morning and someone from Kansas was telling us something about something. I don’t really know because the bar was open. I was only at the bar because my buddy Dan came and got me… and they were serving beer. He had to show me this bartender. She was, by far, the most beautiful bartender I’ve ever seen. Then she started talking, and the spell was broken. She was twenty-two. She was going to whatever the community college is in Tampa, FCCJ Ybor City I think. She told me she drank rum and coke instead of beer because a shot of rum has fewer calories than a beer. She was hot enough for me to listen to her for about a half an hour, and then I couldn’t take it anymore and left. I tell that story because I don’t understand retired athletes dating/marrying waitresses, strippers, and flight attendants. Arturo Gatti, a 37 year old retired millionaire boxer, joined Steve McNair, a 36 year old retired millionaire football player, on the list of dumbasses that got killed in their sleep in the last two weeks by women they were lying to under the age of 24. I understand knowing them biblically. That’s nature. I don’t understand knowing them personally. That’s dumb. I don’t understand how McNair and Gatti came to the conclusion that a relationship with a woman fifteen years younger than them was a good idea. And clearly it wasn’t because they’re both dead. What would a millionaire in his mid-thirties talk to a Dave & Buster’s waitress about on a date? So, do you prefer the carnival games or the video games? Do you get free unlimited D&B cards as a fringe benefit? You know, being a quarterback in the NFL is just like waiting tables at a bar/arcade. They’re both jobs where you have to deal with people. I give the women a pass on a lot of this. They’re children. They’re children who think they’ve found their soul mates and won the lottery at the same time. Then the grown men, who could have gotten what they wanted without lying, say PSYCH! Naw baby, that was just pillow talk. Fatal Attraction and the scene in Goodfellas where Karen sticks a gun in Henry’s face because he won’t stop cheating on her should be shown in IMAX to professional athletes every time they cash a million dollar check.

1 comment:

MJ said...

Good title. Most men baffle me too.