Thursday, July 30, 2009

I Need To Be More Spartan.

I love where I live. I love the house. I love the neighborhood. I love the part of town I’m in. But one of the drawbacks to living in an old house is that it’s old. Our house was designed to keep water off our heads and not fall down. There’s no storage space. At least there’s not enough for all of our stuff. This is a generational thing. When this thing was built people didn’t have a bunch of crap. There was no thought given to where a television would fit because there were no such things as televisions. I’m giving away twenty-three shirts and it isn’t going to create any new space. We’re having a garage sale Saturday – another garage sale – to hopefully get rid of a bunch of stuff we don’t use and return to some type of order. A big part of the problem is how to dispose of electronic equipment when it stops working or becomes obsolete. We have fifteen years of computers, video game systems, video games, CD and DVD players, CD’s and DVD’s. What the hell am I supposed to do with our trillion disk changer, which was the bomb back in 1994, and the trillion CD’s that are filling it? What am I supposed to do with my laptop with the dead hard drive? Should I run a magnet over it in case some criminal finds it at the recycling center and fixes it? What about the ZIP drive and disks that are taking up space in the office? ZIP drives were the Betamaxes of the external storage race. That thing was useful for about two weeks and then the jump drive hit the market. Our DVD players are all dying and we’re left with the choices of replacing them with new DVD players, which are cheap, not replacing them at all, which is even cheaper, or making the inevitable jump to Blu-Ray now instead of later, which isn’t cheap at all. I’m at the point of let’s burn the house to the ground and start all over. You don’t think the fire inspector will find it suspicious that the brand new tankless water heaters were removed before the faulty wiring started the blaze? I’m chalking it up to providence.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Let me know when you all are ready to buy a house and have a mother-in-law suite for CG!