Monday, July 6, 2009

Dawn Patrol

I was able to get out the door at ten till six this morning. The early dawn light and smells reminded me of when MJ and I used to walk around the neighborhood every morning. Unfortunately, that was before the blog so I have no idea when it was. I think it was after I moved to Lincoln, which means it was after the spring of 2005. There was a rooster in a tree – if I’m lyin’ I’m dyin’ – that crowed as we passed every morning. It was the weirdest thing. Anyway, I did six and a half miles this morning, which was a mile and a half more than I planned on doing, but I felt good so I ran. The cooler temperature made running a little bit easier, but I swear it was more humid than it is in the middle of the day. I don’t even know how that’s possible. I was surprised by the lack of runners on the road. I thought pre-dawn is when the serious runners did their work. I saw a pack of old ladies power-walking, and I saw some people with their dogs, but I didn’t see anyone running faster than me, which was strange because I was taking it very easy. I’m proud of myself for getting up at 5am. I woke up at about 4:15 and seriously considered changing the alarm from 5 to 6, but I didn’t. I got up, ate some breakfast, checked on my Facebook stuff, and was out the door. I really enjoyed running along the river as the sun came up. It’s a breathtaking scene. I may take a camera along tomorrow. And although I’m a little bit tired right now, there’s a big satisfaction in knowing that I’m done for the day. I burned my 12 hundred calories and was on my way to work before 8:15. I’m going to try to make this a habit.

1 comment:

JSG said...

Early AM runs are the best! Whatever happens the rest of the day you're ahead!