Thursday, July 2, 2009

This Scratches the Surface

LMJ had her first music class today. She thought it sucked overall. She was tired from the beach, it moved way too slow for her, and there were too many points where she wasn’t getting to bang on or shake something. I thought it was fun and educational. Not just because of the music though. It was an anthropological expedition into deep deep WASP. The only other non-Anglo Saxons in the room besides LMJ and me were Kiki the granny from Greece, as in from Athens, who spoke no English and, Paola the Nanny in training via Mexico. I don’t know where she’s actually from but she came through Mexico to get here. After me the oldest male in the class was Samuel, who I think was 3 ½. We sat on the floor on little circular rugs in a room that was 80 degrees. I sat criss-cross-apple-sauce, which is the new politically correct version of Indian style. I’m not set up for that. I’m getting more flexible but my fat ass can’t handle long periods in that position. Nothing below my waist was getting new blood. My feet fell asleep after about five minutes, and when the numbness crept up past my knees after about fifteen minutes I started to panic about gangrene and straightened out my legs. This is about the same time that LMJ decided that the songs we were singing sucked, and that she would be much happier exploring the church. Her mom took her out of the room, and I was left as a basso black guy in a room of Ortega and Avondale soprano moms and a crazy music teacher singing some song about cats running or something. The lesson was about rhythm and meter, but I was “singing” – term used VERY loosely – in a key a piano player would only play with his left pinky because that’s all I’ve got while the desperate housewives and hot nanny, whose name I can’t remember, were all singing in a right side of the piano key. None of us would have been considered for Into the Woods, but we were all there for our kids. Only video could do this scene justice. I would have been embarrassed about LMJ's behavior, but the son of the Avondale mom sitting next to us decided that the egg shaped rattles the crazy teacher handed out would make perfect missiles. He got about six inches from his mom and threw one at her as hard as he could. LMJ has never done anything remotely like that, and I was happy that I had a daughter. Unfortunately, MJ and I took turns taking LMJ out of the class and bringing her back in. She just was not into it. I’ve left SO much out and I may have to come back to it later but I don’t want to write a nine thousand word post.

7 comments:

MJ said...

One of the times I came back in, LJ was sitting in the circle (CCAS) holding hands with the other moms and singing the goodbye song. What would've been awkward would have been if I put down my clingy child to get out my camera and say "I just have to have a picture of this for my blog." I didn't have the nerve. This post only scratches the surface for sure but it took my fifteen minutes to finish reading it because I couldn't stop laughing. I had to get a tissue to stop crying I was laughing so hard. I wish you were all there, seriously.

Now, JSG, when you read this, I have a proposal. I think you should become a "Music Together" certified teacher. We'll talk.

JSG said...

Suggestion: Crank the gangsta rap, give LMJ a pan and a spoon and bang to the beat. You don't need a Music Together class to enjoy music. Crank it and sing together, be loud, be off key, make up the words where you don't know them.

Though I would pay good money to see you CCAS with the moms doing an itsy bitsy spider knock-off.

EJG said...

I like to tell people that I taught classes at Queensborough Community College from 1990 until we moved to Florida. What I conveniently leave out is that it was a weekend Suzuki music class for children ages 3 to 6.

I had many experiences where I found myself wanting to ask the parents, "Why are you forcing your 3 year old to sit here week after week? Can't you see that he just wants to throw things and gnaw on wood?"

JSG said...

EJG's kids were the upper crust Asian immigrants in Queens. I remember the story of a 3 year old named Eunice Ok.

MJ said...

Ah, so EJG will be the Music Together teacher! We're so excited!

Anonymous said...

Maybe we'll just continue our quartet at home, LJ on quitar, LMJ on recorder, MJ on tamborine and Gram on a piano that is much too small for her.

tainij said...

I do believe that the way LMJ has music in her life every day is probably a better way for her to learn to love music than a structured, Yuppie fest. Children learn through their play (and the play of those around them), so having a recorder, a baby piano, lots of percussion instruments, and daddy on guitar will probably lead her to both appreciation and performance.

Sorry about those legs; you might want to try yoga.