Sunday, July 26, 2009

All It Takes Is a Week

We went on a family bike ride this morning to the YMCA. I hadn’t exercised in a week and I could tell the moment I started to pedal. It always amazes me how fast the body starts to atrophy. It was a frickin’ week and it’s not like I’m Lance Armstrong trying to climb the Pyrenees. Most of the trip there was down hill, but my legs were burning anyway. It’s not that I took the week off. It’s that last week was one of those busy ones that get rolling on Monday morning and the next thing I know it’s Sunday afternoon and my legs are burning. Even though the ride was harder than I expected we had fun. MJ decided to bring a Frisbee so we would have something to do once we got to the Y. She throws a Frisbee almost as well as I sing. She brought it along because she thought LMJ would enjoy playing with it outside as much as she does inside. But we don’t have giant light posts at home to climb, so the Frisbee was almost totally ignored by the baby girl. I had fun throwing it way up into the air and trying to chase it down. I don’t know if it’s because I’m old or because I’m fat or a combination of the two, but I can’t cover ground the way I used to. I’m also unwilling to dive in the dirt. There were a couple of tosses that I could have caught if I had been willing to get dirty. I guess those days are gone. We played Frisbee for about ten minutes and then some landscaping chick/dude came by and told us (s)he would be mowing in about twenty minutes so we packed up our stuff and headed to the Times-Union helipad to watch a train cross the river. It took forever, which worked out – not just for the rest – because a big sailboat had pull up short to avoid running into the bridge. It wasn’t a close thing, but it was cool anyway. MJ almost got run over a couple of times on the way back, but we made it home just fine – except for my soon-to-be-sore legs.

1 comment:

MJ said...

Now you know how I feel every time we ride. It was fun though.