Sunday, November 29, 2009

Gearing Up For Meatballs

The holiday is over and it’s back to the real world tomorrow. I hate these Sunday nights. I hate being reminded how much I hate work. They’re not as bad as the Sunday nights were when I was in school, but those had one hundred percent to do with undone homework. I gained five pounds over the weekend so the first order of business tomorrow is getting my fat ass in the pool. I’m not making meatballs until the weekend of the twelfth so that gives me two full weeks to get back to where I started at the very least. I’m also blowing off work parties this year. There’s no need. I’ll make a point of spending some time with everyone I like, and everyone else will get “postponed”. This has been a rough year and I don’t have the energy to pretend to be interested in stuff I’m not interested in or make trips across the river to see people whose names I can’t remember. I think I was talking about exercise before I got bitter. Anyway, I’m in the pool and on the dreadmill tomorrow. I don’t know if I’m going to add a session on the elliptical to jump start some weight loss. I doubt it. Like I said, I have two full weeks of exercise and a clean diet before the next gravy tournament. The meatballs on the twelfth are a dry run for the Christmas meatballs. I haven’t made them in almost a year and I want to make sure everything goes smoothly. There are a couple of exotic spices that go into them and I need to know if a trip to the apothecary is necessary. The dry run is also a good time to experiment. I’m thinking of tweaking the meats (it’s natural everybody does it). The recipe calls for a 3 to 1 ratio of beef to pork, but MJ got health conscious a while back and we started substituting a portion of turkey for a portion of beef. The taste difference was negligible. I’m in an authentic mood so if I can find some reindeer meat in Jacksonville it’s going into the mix – just for the dry run. The mix for Christmas is carved in stone and gilded. Yeah, I’m excited about the meatballs. The elliptical session has to get added.

No comments: