Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Back Into The Pool

I pretended swimming wasn’t difficult this morning and added an hour on the elliptical after 800 yards in the pool. I’m figuring out that swimming is something that just has to be done and that’s the only way to get better at it. Since it’s still anaerobic for me at this point I decided to do something aerobic so I hopped on the elliptical. After I shorted out the third machine a very nice trainer suggested that I change out of my swim trunks or at least dry off. That was a good tip. I did my diva thing and changed clothes and hopped back on the elliptical. I was stoked because ESPN was showing a college basketball marathon and I got into the game – Niagara was playing Drexel. I was dying. The swimming kicked my behind. I have certain benchmarks for my time on the elliptical, which 99 times out of 100 comes right after what I have been assuming is an intense weight workout. Obviously it isn’t because half an hour in the pool exhausted me a lot more than an hour of weights. I guess that’s why there are successful fat weight lifters but no successful fat swimmers. I think I’m really going to enjoy my time in the pool because it’s an intense workout but there’s zero pain. I’m also getting a sense of what a sprint distance triathlon is going to be like. I think I’ll be ready to do one next spring. That was the secondary reason for hopping on the elliptical; to get a gauge of what a second leg of exercise would feel like immediately after getting out of the pool. The primary reason, of course, was gravy. My stroke still needs a bunch of work. I can only breathe to my left. When I try to breathe to my right I do the NASCAR thing and get confused (see they only make left turns in NASCAR). I’m going to do the same routine tomorrow and then run on Thursday. I may try to get a bike ride in over the weekend.

Beth wrote this in a post and I’m thinking of having it tattooed backwards on my forehead so when I look in the mirror I’ll be able to read it. When you can't do it all, you do what you can and keep your eyes on the prize.

5 comments:

Beth said...

I'm glad you explained the Nascar bit. That would've taken me a while. And I'm touched I made it in your post! If you plan your triathlon for Girls' Weekend '10 (that sounds weird), we can all be there to cheer for you! (Or maybe we'll plan Girls' Weekend '10 around your first triathlon!)

MJ said...

It should make you a little sad that most of your readers are not sure if you're joking about shorting out all the ellipticals. I had to be told: he was kidding. Otherwise, I can't believe you're actually swimming. Good job!

Beth said...

But did the worker really have to tell LJ to dry off before getting on the elliptical? (I figured he probably didn't short out three machines, but I didn't think it beyond the realm of possibility that he might have shorted out one! LOL)

LJ said...

I changed from my swim outfit to my elliptical outfit before I got on the machine. I guess I should have been more descriptive or at least gone into more detail.

MJ said...

That joke was just too close to something that people might do. Who wants to change clothes in the middle of a workout? Not me!