Monday, November 2, 2009

Get In The Pool, Bitch.

I was back in the saddle this afternoon. I had planned on swimming but wimped out. I went as far as getting my swimsuit out, but just holding it in the 65 degree weather was enough to discourage me. Instead I rode my bike, which I always enjoy. There’s a weird balance that has to be struck when riding in the cool weather between clothing choices and speed. I have to dress cool enough so I don’t get overheated during the ride, but I also have to ride fast enough to keep myself warm, but I have to keep my heart rate under control or the cool air will start to irritate my throat and lungs. I did a pretty good job of threading that needle today. I rode about twenty miles in just under an hour and twenty minutes. I rode through old Ortega and back along Roosevelt Blvd. I forgot about the Ortega River Bridge until I saw it – dumbass. I then rode back through Avondale and Riverside on my normal route down to the landing. It’s much easier to appreciate the beauty of Jacksonville on a bike than it is running or driving. I tried to keep everything under control but I think I over did it a bit. I’m still a little bit run down from the cold/flu from last week. My watch says I burned 2200 calories, which is something, I guess. I’m chalking today up to anything is better than nothing. I’m a little disappointed that I took the chickensh*t way out. Riding is the easiest part of my training because of starts and stops dictated by traffic. I wish that I had run six or seven miles or gone to the gym and lifted, which I haven’t done in a couple of weeks. Ideally, I should have manned up and gone swimming. It’s where I’m weakest and that’s why it’s so easy for me to find excuses not to get wet. I may have to hire a coach or find a partner. The swimming has to get done.

No comments: