Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Gettin' All Positive And Stuff

I had a very good exercise day today. It was good because I did not want to do it in any way shape or form. I was as close to prepared as I can get before I went to bed last night. I had all my gear in my gym bag and the only thing I had to do was grab it and go. Then I woke up this morning and came to the realization that exercise is bulls**t. I wasn’t sore or tired. I was just unmotivated. I had to start psyching myself up at 6am just to get out the door at 7:30. I headed to work – skipping the gym – and got some stuff done. Then my brain got into a battle with itself. I didn’t want to work, but I wouldn’t let myself leave unless I was going to exercise. This lasted for about three hours. I sat in my office brooding, getting angrier with each useless e-mail I got. Finally, I broke down and decided exercising would be better than fuming for no reason. I needed to break in my new shoes anyway. With the new shoe christening as the main reason for me being active, the gym and the dreadmill weren’t going to happen. And even though it was cold, and even though I was grumpy, I planned on running ten along the river. I would allow myself to cut the run in half if my shoes were bothering me. The Nikes were not a problem. I ran just short of ten because it was the end of lunchtime or the beginning of happy hour and the Landing was crowded, and I didn't feel like running through a bunch of people. I’m excited about a ten mile run becoming part of my routine. I’m even more excited about my time at 9.3 miles. I was struggling to finish because I hit it pretty hard yesterday, but I was well below last year’s River Run time. I ran 9.86 miles and I feel pretty good. For the first time in about three years I’m ahead of my fitness goals.

1 comment:

EJG said...

Way to go (even when you didn't want to go!)