Sunday, February 14, 2010

Hard Headed Cheap Bastard

Today was made of 100% pure unadulterated fail. All I want to do is buy some new running shoes, but it’s been like searching for the Holy Grail. I like a very specific shoe. It’s the only shoe that I’ve ever worn that doesn’t decimate my feet, knees, and shins when I run farther than a hundred yards. If I had any sense or didn’t suffer from chronic cheap bastard syndrome, I’d be rocking the new Air Pegasus right now. I should have bounced over the river to the San Marco 1st Place Sports and paid what they asked me to pay, but instead I went price shopping, which led to a trip to the Nike Factory Store at the St. Augustine outlet mall. I was willing to wear last year’s model to save fifteen bucks. I called to make sure they had the shoe but didn’t make sure they had my size. So after a difficult trip that had a detour to put air in the tires and another detour to get snacks for the baby girl, I find the Nike Air Pegasus in a size 7. That was the biggest size they had. I don’t personally know a full grown man with feet that small, which may explain why there were so many on the shelf. I thought about buying another model, but I would have no idea what they would be like, and I’m not giving them money for not having exactly what I want. It’s not a high end model. It’s basically Nike’s Honda Civic in running shoes. That was a whole Sunday and 70 miles of wasted time and gas just to save the cost of a large pizza, and I came away with nothing. Now I have to go to 1st Place Sports anyway and pay full price. The sad part is that when I need shoes again in three or four months I’m going to exact same thing.

1 comment:

EJG said...

I, too, need new shoes. But I shall skip the journey to Faildom, and go straight to 1st Place.

I'm glad you resisted the "foot glove".