Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Tim Tebow Wasn't Aborted

I have nothing to write about so I’m going to write about Tim Tebow and his abortion ad. He’s doing a spot during the Super Bowl for a group called Focus On The Family. I haven’t seen the ad but what I’ve read is that it has something to do with him being a difficult pregnancy for his mom but she decided to keep him and he went on to cry like a little bitch on national television because he lost a football game. I suppose the implication is that if a woman chooses to keep her baby it might turn out to be a big college football star. That’s dumb. Not a single one of the 7 billion people alive today was aborted. A baby has the same chance of being Osama bin Laden as it does of being Tim Tebow, but that’s not the biggest issue I have with the premise of the ad. My problem is that these people think a 22 year old male virgin is the one to get their message across to women who may find themselves with an unwanted pregnancy during a show with an overwhelmingly male audience. How the hell does that work? Whose mind is this commercial going to change? Will there be a knocked up woman who was planning to head down to the clinic Monday morning, but because of a male zealot who’s good at football that she saw on the TV she changes her mind? “I was going to have an abortion, but because Tim Tebow doesn’t think I should, I’m not going through with it. He won more games than any quarterback in Florida Gators history.” I don’t have a problem with Tim Tebow or his beliefs. It’s America and he seems to take the a lot more of the good parts of evangelical Christianity seriously than the bad parts, but Focus On The Family doesn’t seem interested in changing minds as much as gathering followers, and I would hope that Tebow wouldn’t want to be part of that.

3 comments:

MJ said...

Well since I haven't seen the ad either, maybe I should wait to see it before I comment. So, you write, "what I’ve read is that it has something to do with him being a difficult pregnancy for his mom but she decided to keep him...." If that's true about the ad, it makes it even more ridiculous. I don't think most women consider abortion because they're having a difficult pregnancy. Nice job articulating your problem(s) with the ad.

Beth said...

Exactly MJ. Great post LJ. You hit the nail on the head.

Cora Spondence said...

Tim Tebow wishes he threw or prayed as good as you write.