Saturday, February 27, 2010

One Down, One To Go

I had my best race ever today. I took more than 75 seconds off my time from three years ago and more than 4 ½ minutes off last year’s time. The Ortega River Run is by far my favorite race. Everything was in place this morning. I’m in good shape, it was cold and overcast, and my earphones fit comfortably inside my headband. I was jacked up about this race for a week. I had my clothes and shoes ready on Thursday afternoon. My champion chip was on my laces. My bib was safety pinned to my shirt. I was ready to go. I was even excited about the 35 degree weather, until I got out into it. Cold weather is great for running. It’s horrible for standing around waiting. I got to St. Marks Episcopal Church about 45 minutes before the start of the race, and I planned on sitting in the car with the heat blasting until about 5 minutes before the gun was scheduled to go off. I was only able to force myself to get out and head to the start line because I had to pee. I didn’t bring gloves so I was standing in the port-o-potty line with my hands in my pockets, pouting like a little girl. I didn’t care about how the race went, I just wanted it to be over. Thankfully, after I relieved myself, I still had about ten minutes to go, so I warmed up just so I could warm up. It worked out perfectly. By the time the race started I was refocused. Then I ran into a problem I hadn’t anticipated – slow people in front of me. I normally don’t encounter this. I was starting to get frustrated because there wasn’t a lot of room to pass them at the beginning of the race, and I was being forced to run faster than I wanted to in order to clear them. I added almost 200 yards of zigzagging during the first mile. After that the pack thinned out and I was able to cruise. I even managed the bridge well. The mile 3 marker is at the top of the bridge, and when I looked at my time as I crossed it I knew I was going to do it. I was able to relax and enjoy one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in the city. The locals come out and cheer on their front lawns. That is so positive and it’s appreciated. But my favorite part – other than finishing and not having to run anymore – is the dance that MJ, Grammy, and LMJ do so that they can cheer me on at three different spots along the course, especially today when it was cold and rainy. I’m really looking forward to two weeks from now.

1 comment:

MJ said...

We have fun watching you! Did you hear us honk as we passed you on the bridge?
We missed JSG & EJG though...